On January 1, 1871, a number of Baptists residing on the north side of Indianapolis rented a hall over the grocery on the southeast corner of Cherry Street (10th Street) and Broadway. There were about a dozen people present for the first prayer meeting on January 17.
By March of the same year, the North Baptist Mission Sunday School had been organized, the Sunday school had reached an attendance of one hundred and thirty. A property had been purchased, and a small building erected. The North Baptist Church was organized on October 3, 1871, with 44 charter members “… to make lt by all means a good Baptist church, one from the state of Kentucky.”
On November 12, 1893, the church moved to College Avenue and 15th Street and became known as the College Avenue Baptist Church. In May of 1929, Rev. R M. Dodrill assumed the pastorate’ and the Church began its greatest period of enthusiasm and growth. Just after Easter in April 1943 the church moved to Broadway and 22nd street and became known as the Broadway Baptist Church with a membership approaching twenty-five hundred. The Lord richly blessed the church.
Through much of the 1950’s, Broadway at 22nd Street was a neighborhood church. Many of the congregation lived within walking distance. But, by the end of the 50’s the neighborhood had changed so there was little choice for the church but to sell and move. We were fortunate in that we had acreage on 38th Street to build. This was given to the church by Judge Martin, a personal friend of Rev. R. M. Dodrill. Work was completed in 1965 and dedication was on April 11, 1965. “Payday Someday,” was preached that night while wind roared around our new roof. Our move to 38th Street was now formally complete.
The Broadway Christian School was organized at the beginning of the Christian school movement, with a student body averaging over 100. Dr. Gerald H. Privett became pastor of our church on Father’s Day, 1982 and within a year, David Wagner became the school principal. Mr. Wagner and the school had a major impact on the lives of our students during the 80’s and 90’s. The school had its last graduating class in May of 1999.
In May of 1985 Broadway Baptist Church and Eastview Baptist Church merged and the name was changed to Faithway Baptist Church. Dr. Privett remained pastor and Rev. Bill Chilton was made co-pastor.
In the fall of 2010 Pastor Privett led the church to sell the building on 38th street and move to Greenfield, IN. The first Sunday saw two baptized with fourteen visitors in attendance. A new direction was established and new blessings were expected.
Pastor Joshua Poole moved his family from Highland, Indiana, and became the pastor of Faithway Baptist Church.
Over the past several years, the Lord has truly blessed, we have made many improvements to the building and the church has grown! We eagerly await how the Lord will use Faithway Baptist Church in the days to come!